File number: 60158
Sign in to comment.
By SANDEEP KUMAR
Shroff Eye Centre
Co-author(s): Cyrus Shroff
- Uploaded on Jul 25, 2020.
- Last modified by Caroline Bozell on Jul 28, 2020.
- Appears in
- perfluorooctane, retinal detachment
- Dr Daraius Shroff . Shroff Eye Centre New Delhi
- PFC in chronic retinal detachment has a vital role. The image is of a 12-year-old girl with open funnel RD. Characteristically PFCLs have high specific gravity ranging from 1.76 to 2.03, low surface tension, and viscosity. These physical properties make perfluorocarbon liquids an ideal for intraoperative tool in vitreoretinal surgery. With high specific gravity they flatten the detcahed retina and push the SRF anteriorly giving surgeon room for maneuvers.